Propane is used all across America every day. It is clean and safe, and like with all fuels, is even safer when handled with proper caution.
Here are a few tips to help you make the most of propane.
- Check your propane tank gauge regularly. This helps you know if you need a delivery, and can also let you know if your tank is suspiciously low, indicating a possible leak. If you’re not sure how to read your propane tank gauge, watch the How to Check a Propane Tank Gauge video below. Remember, if your tank runs empty, it MUST be inspected before it can be filled.
- Practice caution throughout the year. We regularly provide seasonal safety tips to help you stay safe all year—everything from what to do in inclement weather to mowing in summer. Check back seasonally for tips.
- Schedule regular propane tank maintenance. If your tank hasn’t been inspected for a while, give us a call. We have certified professionals who can check your system.
What Do I Do If I Smell Propane?
- No flames or sparks! Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.
- Leave the area immediately. Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.
- Shut off the gas. Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so. The shut off valve is located under the tank lid and typically looks like a garden hose knob. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise) as far as it will turn.
- Report the leak. Get to a safe location away from the gas leak and call Carolina Propane immediately at 803.536.5070. If you don’t have our number handy, call 911 or your local fire department.
- Do not return to the building or area until a Carolina Propane service technician determines that it is safe to do so.
- Get your system checked. Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, ensure that one of our qualified service technicians checks your entire system to ensure that it is leak-free.
The Commercial Safety Data Sheet is available on our Commercial page.
How to Check a Propane Tank Gauge